Sunday, August 29, 2010

If you ever read Julia Cameron's book The Artist Way, you might remember her suggestion to have an "artist date" with yourself. This is necessary to access your creativity and to refill the well so to speak. She recommends to do this once a week, setting aside a couple of hours to do something creative, playful and fun.

I have decided to make a bit of art once a day, a doll, a drawing or a collage and to record it here, inspired by another artist who asked me to create a doll for a project of hers. This is quite an extraordinary honor, and challenging as well. This little Spirit Doll (her name is Jewel) is to have long curly hair, free standing and flowing skirt, the colors are teal and purple but the hair needs to have tones of rainbow...with the dragonfly and butterflies for totems and some crystal chips and beads as means of adornment.







Jewel is supported by a wooden dowel so she will be resting on a bottle or another surface when she gets home. I had several faces made so my client could have some choices, once this was agreed, the rest was easy...that is, until I got to the flowing skirts...well, that did not work at all, the doll would not let me, it almost sounds silly, but for those of you who make art dolls, I am sure you understand what I mean, the doll directs the way it is going to go once you get started.
If I weave the cloth it works quite well, I feel it flows with a gentle energy now and I just had to fasten the elements used for the doll, with wire and yarn. This happens often if I try to force the doll to look like I think it should, I encounter many problems, I've learned to let it be and allow the process to guide me in an intuitive manner.

1 comment:

beadbabe49 said...

oh yes...the dolls will tell you what they want and don't want...and it's not wise to not listen!

Search This Blog

Powered By Blogger