Sunday, November 04, 2007

My friend Monica invited me to join The Crusade for this round of Green Pepper Press Street Team to explore on the theme of "Who or What Is Your Muse?"

I have been inspired by many people, artists and authors but my doll making took a spin in another direction when I started reading the marvelous books by Charles de Lint. He has a unique way of getting people close to nature where magic becomes reality, in one of his books I found a reference to numina spirits and realized that similar kind of energy takes place in a Spirit Doll. I have read 10 of his books and I am making a wish list to get to the rest of the list, even tho it seems to me I am not meant to keep a collection of his books because I have lent them out and gave the rest away last month. Ahhh but this magic is at work...someone surprised me with 4 books which I had not read! So far, my favorite is "Dream and Memory" where he describes in detail many aspects of the numinous spirits very close to those I imagine, living all around in nature. Besides that, I also love the sound of these words...numinous, numen and numina; a presiding divinity or spirit of a place, a spirit believed by animists to inhabit certain natural phenomena or objects, a creative energy and genius.

Just as my little Spirit Dolls who come to life representing nature spirits and helpers, because every time I allow one to come into being I feel a sense of nurturing peace. You can see why de Lint's books and his creative spirit have become the center of my attention making him my latest muse.


I also want to say that I was able to contact Mr. de Lint's beautiful wife MaryAnne Harris
who corresponded with me, and now two of my dolls and a small crow painting are part of their collection. They were sent as gifts of gratitude for all the hours of inspiration...such a lovely lady, and a great artist and perhaps de Lint's muse with a lage "M" . If you are interested in his work, here is a list of his books but don't get intimidated by such a long list, you can start anywhere you want, many of his novels are set in a city called Newford but each story stands on its own and soon enough you will be traveling to that place on your own. I have read The Onion Girl, (which was the first one and I got hooked) Someplace to Be Flying, (with its marvelous mythology on Raven Girls and Cayote) Memory and Dream,(the story of a gifted artist, with enough power to blend urban mystery with folk tales) Into the Green and The Little Country (a fantastic journey to The Green Isles) Dreams Underfoot, (this is probably a good one to start with because it is a collection of stories set in Newford) The Ivory and The Horn (another collection with my favorite "The Bone Woman") Spiritwalk (a glorious blend of Shamanism and Celtic tradition nestled in an enchanting house called Tamson House) and I just finished reading Forest of the Heart and Trader.

Also...I want to include in here another artist who inspires me to no end, I am warning you, you will need several hours to review the amazing work of Peter Hollinghurst and His Musing :)

Who knows how Spirit moves from one person to the next, we live like the mighty redwood trees, standing tall in a grove we reach to the heavens for inspiration, supporting each other by a network of roots, we are "All-in-Spirit" and perhaps you and I are already someones muse! Why not, the veils lift and we find layers of creative genius hidden moment by moment, I believe we just need to trust the process, the "real muse" lives inside each and everyone of us. I will leave you with this quote from Steve Martin:

"I have learned that there is no harm in charging oneself up with delusions between moments of valid inspiration"

13 comments:

michelle ward said...

Griselda - I am so glad Monica convinced you to join in our fun on the Street Team. I loved your post and am curious now about this man you call Muse. I'm sure many of the team players will thank you for the introduction as well. I am thrilled for you that you were able to share your own work, in gratitude. That is the coolest. I am going to scurry off and take a closer look at your blog and your dolls. Welcome aboard!!!

MezzoKat said...

How wonderful that you were able to meet the wife of your muse! Your art dolls are fascinating.

Griselda said...

Thanks Michelle, I am also exploring your wonderful sites. I have always felt inspired by authors and my work is influenced by them, from paintings to assemblage art to art dolls. So I think that giving back to the author is only the right thing and if I can manage a letter to the publisher and a mailing address back I do it. Isabel Allende the beautiful author of The House of Spirits has some of my art as well and she has been very generous with her kind words and books as well. I hope you find yourself reading de Lint's books soon...he has quite a bit of "crow magic" on his work. Bright Blessings to you Michelle.

Griselda said...

Ohh...don't I wish, I did not meet MaryAnn Harris, I just corresponded with her :)
Thanks for your kind comments about my dolls.
I hope your day is full of magical events.
G

Jo Anne O. said...

Hi Griselda! I too am fond of Mr. de Lint, but have yet to get to read much by him. I believe that there is a "fairy or sprite" in part of what makes up my Muse for things sure do "pop" out all the sudden!

I will be sure to read my copy of Memory and Dream right after the book I am reading now...Thanks for sharing him!

Jo Anne O. said...

OH I almost forgot to tell you that I enjoyed looking at your beaded dolls...I bead the doll forms from Monica too...they are the best out there, aren't they?

Smiles!

Dieverdog said...

Griselda, I have read several of DeLint's books and enjoyed them thoroughly... they are so unique and different and full of magic. I shall have to pick up another one soon. Thanks for joining the Team and participating! It's a wonderful group. Your dolls are just beautiful!

Griselda said...

Hello Jo Anne and the beautiful artist with "fuzzy dog" name...:)\
I am glad we met, I am always saying I do better in Live Journal, now I know why, nobody ever commented on this blog, but it is so much fun to visit your sites, I am going to come back and see what you are up to.
I wish for you long hours of interrupted creativity.
Bright Blessings to your day...tomorrow.
Peace
G

girlgonethreadwild said...

Gris, you are a MUSE to many, many of us who frequent your blog(s) each day to find new inspiration for living, breathing, and making art. THANK YOU for joining the crusade, it is a fun way of expression, eh! xo, Monica :)

Jodi Peary said...

Griselda,
Thank you for your beautiful and thoughtful post. I look forward to exploring the work of Charles de Lint. I had not heard of him before reading your post. The world continually becomes a more wild and wonderous and spacious place as we open our minds wider while moving more and more to the center of our lives. Thank you! jodi barone
www.wildvines.blogspot.com

Griselda said...

I live with an open mind :)
more like windows and doors open to me when I read his books.
Thanks for your kind comment

Fiona said...

Thanks for the list of his books. I've only read a couple so far but I want to read more. I started with Forests of the Heart and thought it wonderful. Seriously, who can't love something where the fairies are hard men who drink Guinness?

Griselda said...

Thanks Fiona, (your name is magical) I followed your link back to The City of Bones...it looks like something I should be reading. Did you read "Forever"?

Search This Blog

Powered By Blogger