Thursday, September 02, 2010

I imagined that The Morrigan would be a Spirit Protector for many people, in ancient tradition she has the same energy as Hecate   because she is a warrior woman as well as a healer.  I see her so clearly in all the battles going on in the world, I see her in all her terror and fury, but also as a loving protector and compassionate Mother, I know that is not what others see.  For this figure I have her caring a shield of skulls.  For me skulls are beautiful because I grew up with one or two around the house...yes...very odd, but for good reason.  First of all, my grandfather found them in a ditch during a horrible flood in my home town more than 80 years ago, which made the cemetery look like a lake, my grandfather talks about rivers of bones along the side of the roads. In those days his older son was studding to be a doctor so they talked it over and decided it would be better to honor the skulls at home instead of returning them to the pile of bones and it served as something for them to study and contemplate.  Often times, I used to hold one of the skulls in my hands before I went to sleep...imagine that...my grandfather would said, just be mindful that it is not a toy and by now it is very delicate...I actually felt very reverent about the whole thing.

4 comments:

Terri said...

Wow, Morrigan the Spirit Protector is amazing. So colorful and symbolic.
I have been going through your site and it is full of beautifully expressive art. You have a wonderful blog.
Hugs,
Terri

Griselda said...

Thank you Terri, I have been admiring your pages too. You are a great artist, I can just sit here and dream of watching you create those dolls. My mother used to have a doll like that when she was a little girl.

TheBlakkDuchess said...

This is one of my favorite dolls you've made. She is amazing & powerful.
I think it's wonderful that your grandfather gave new life & new meaning to those two skulls. I would decidedly rather my bones be of some use to someone & benefit them than be tossed into a big pile.
I also love it that you were allowed to touch & handle the skulls. I think it's wonderful you weren't taught to fear such a potent reminder of our mortality. That you found reverence instead of fear fills me with gladness.

I hope you are having a wonderful week & I always look forward to your posts & seeing what new dolls you've breathed life into. ^-^

xoxo

Griselda said...

Annalee, I am glad you understand, because quite often when I tell the story people look at me like...what? did you say you grew up holding a skull?
Nooo...not all day long, only at night...laughs*
And only before I went to bed at my grandparents house...you would think they lived in an enchanted cottage and I made it all up.

Growing up in Mexico, we participated every year in the rituals of Dia de los Muertos...what a feast!!

Search This Blog

Powered By Blogger