Thursday, September 02, 2010


Forgoten Gardens
Altered Dolls

These are my little altered porcelain dolls, they are wrapped
and painted, they all sold a long time ago.



A few years ago I met a marvelous woman, an amazing artist who inspired me to create altered porcelain dolls from the dollar store! Can you imagine, removing the arms and legs, and making the basic shape of the torso and head a blank canvas to start a new doll...well, she does that and more, check out her site.
Her name is Patricia Anders, my Muse.

When I met Tricia she was making her famous ornies, they are colorful and full of meaning.

Mine took a turn for my grandmother's secret garden, it is a long story, you know me, I love stories and they are strange as they can be.  Well...I will make it short, my grandmother had given me a couple of dolls made of some paste which were very old.  I loved my baby dolls and had them with me everywhere, but one night, I forgot my doll in the garden and it rained so hard, my doll was damaged beyond repair.  I had such a fit, my grandmother said, it was her time to go to doll heaven and we proceeded to swaddle her with cheese cloth and she was buried in the garden.
I often think of going there after 50 years...imagine what I would find if I manage to get the doll...yes...if the doll had not melted into the ground, I would find something out of this world...and I would love it even more.

So, don't come telling me they are spooky...laughs*
My little forgotten garden dolls are to me, sweet memories of my grandmothers garden, her caring and inspiration will always be with me.

I will leave you with something very lovely yet spooky La Isla De Las Muñecas
Gliding across the deathly still canal waters on our final approach to La Isla De Las Muñecas (Island Of The Dolls), a nagging sense of dread suddenly grips Bizarre. Through the gnarled branches of the trees that fringe the island, forlorn faces of what look like lost children stare at us with dead eyes... 

No comments:

Search This Blog

Powered By Blogger